17.1.12

Fetalfibronectin

its a real word.  I would totally spell it wrong if I was given that word in a spelling bee.

Things have been crazy around here with all the changes coming, and it mostly feels like we don't have a lot to show for all of our busy-ness.  People always ask me how I'm feeling, especially when they realize how far into this pregnancy I am....and surprisingly, I was feeling REALLY good (all things considered).  At least, up until about 28 weeks.  Now I'm finally starting to feel as horrible as I anticipated this point in the pregnancy would be.

About a week and a half ago I started having noticeably regular contractions.  I've had these little "episodes" before, and just wrote it off as me doing too much.  Well, they never really let up, and even if I had been laying down for 2 hours, they were still coming about 4/hour.  After about 6 days straight of this, I realized I should probably get myself into the Dr.  Anyway, long story short, I went in for a quick ultrasound, and they confirmed that I wasn't dilating, yet.  I was put on bed rest and sent on my way.  I had my perinatal ultrasound a few days later, and I informed the tech of what had gone down the previous week.  Let me say that I'm grateful to have stumbled upon a great Dr and office, they're hard to come by, in my opinion.  She decided to double check things to make sure we were still good.  Then she decided to do a swab to test for a protein called Fetalfibronectin, which in short, if came back positive could indicate that labor is eminent in the next 2-3 weeks.  Obviously, like most tests, it isn't a 100% guarantee, but it would allow them to prepare just in case.  I'm still waiting on results, but if they come back positive, the Dr. will give me steroids to help with the babies lungs, and then medication to stop the contractions.  At this point though, the babies are viable and there wouldn't be too many complications.  I'm pretty confident that all we be good, and the test will come back negative.  Here's to hoping, anyway.

Me in all my glory, 28 wks


No comments: