2.10.09

WPW syndrome, enchiladas and Conference...

First things first...

To make a long story short...I started having heart palpitations about 4 months ago (that I noticed, anyway). But, the last 4 days I've been having them regularly. I didn't really think too much about them. Well, last night I decided to track my pulse...every time my "fluttering" would happen, my heart would skip a beat. Oh man, we really knew something was wrong then! So...this morning I was fortunate enough to get in and see a Internal Medicine Specialist, and thanks goodness I did! They did an EKG, drew blood for testing and strapped a Holter heart monitor on me. It sure was a lot to take in, especially when everything was so unexpected. We'll find out the test results sometime early next week, and I have another appointment on Wednesday. I spent 2 hours in the office, and got to talk a lot with the Dr. I've never been so impressed; he answered all my questions, and listen to the list of symptoms I rattled off. I really felt like he was genuine, and sincerely concerned about what was going on. He said that there was definetly something wrong with my heart...then turned to the PA intern and said "he'd bet money" that the condition I was suffering from was Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome (WPW Syndrome).

More details to come...

Now on to the good stuff.

This is mostly for Cami.

Vegetarian Enchiladas:

1 14.5 oz. can black beans
1 14 oz. can pineapple chunks
1 pepper (red, green, whatever) cut up
1 fresh jalapeno, cut up
1 red onion, cut up
1/4 C. chopped cilantro
1 can enchilada sauce (red or green)
grated cheese, your choice
fresh, uncooked flour tortillas (this is a MUST)-you may want to cook them ahead of time.

Grease a 9X13 glass or metal pan. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

First, mix half of the pineapple juice with the can of enchilada sauce; set aside. In a frying pan, sautee all of the vegetables together until tender, or whichever consistency you prefer them (we like them slightly crunchy). Add cilantro, black beans and pineapple; heat through. Now, add about 1/2 C. grated cheese to the mixture until its all melted.

Put about one spoonful of the enchilada sauce into the tortilla, followed by the vegetable mixture. Roll tortilla up, and place flap side down. Continue with the rest of the tortillas. Top the enchiladas with the rest of the sauce and finish up with a good heaping of cheese. Cover with foil, bake for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly.

YUM!

P.S. you can alter this however you want, we tried adding black olives this last time and it was a great addition.

Conference

We're so excited about conference tomorrow. It's always such a breath of "fresh air" in this world we live in. I'm really looking forward to hearing what the prophets and apostles have to say to us. It's always so uplifting. Another nice bonus...haha...naptime won't really be interrupted, yay! We hope you all enjoy conference weekend!

3 comments:

Our Family said...

Please keep us updated. We will pray for you!!!! I hope everything comes back and he says you had too much caffeine or something stupid like that. I am glad you have a great doctor caring for you. It makes such a huge difference. Good luck Jess. We love you!

The Harmons said...

Hey Jess, I hope you ask/asked Neil for a blessing. Also, since I've talked to you and can't help but think maybe you should just go in. On Dr. Lofgran's answering machine does it give a number to call after hours? If so I would call it, and I'm pretty sure he's on call all weekend at the hospital. I'm thinking of you and don't forget to let me know if you decide to go in. Love ya.

Cami said...

Keep me posted! We are keeping you in our prayers. Take it easy and rest a lot. I wish I were there to help. Maybe I should take the boys for a few days... and thanks for the recipe! Maybe we'll do them tonight!
love ya!