3.10.09

Wolff Parkinson White Syndrome

Definition

By Mayo Clinic staff

Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome, or WPW syndrome, is the presence of an extra abnormal electrical pathway in the heart that leads to periods of a very fast heartbeat (tachycardia).

The extra electrical pathway of Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome is present at birth. While people of all ages, including infants, can experience the effects of Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome, episodes of a fast heartbeat often first appear when people are in their teens or early 20s.

In most cases, the episodes of fast heartbeats aren't life-threatening, but very serious heart problems can occur. Treatments for Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome may stop or prevent episodes of fast heartbeats, and surgery to shut down the extra electrical pathway can usually correct the heart rhythm problems.

Normal heartbeat

Illustration showing a normal heartbeat

A normal heartbeat begins when a tiny cluster of cells called the sinus node sends an electrical signal (1). The signal then travels through the atria and passes through another group of cells called the atrioventricular node (2). From the atrioventricular node, the signal travels through the ventricles (3), causing them to contract and pump out blood. After this, the process starts over (4).


Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome

Illustration of Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome

Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome is the name for episodes of fast heart rate caused by an extra electrical pathway between the atria and the ventricles. The fast heart rate often occurs because the electrical impulses go down one pathway from the atria to the ventricles and then return to the atria through the other pathway.



I'm getting more nervous almost every hour. Its amazing that less than a week ago I was feeling fine; then the fluttering started. Now, within the last 24 hrs. I've noticed a huge decline in my health. I get winded just walking around the house, and I can't even pick up Ellie anymore. The reality of what's going on is finally starting to set in....and its not pleasant. I'm just hoping to make it to Monday...I really don't want to make a visit to the hospital.

We'd definitely appreciate your thoughts and prayers.

4 comments:

Mike and Angie Rockwood said...

I'm sorry to hear that. For sure, you and your family will be in our prayers.

On a different note...I went and got some of those stay put headbands from your last post. I really like them and they actually work. Thanks for the suggestion.

Jessica said...

glad to hear. They have a bunch of different styles too...some that are more trendy and chic. I'm not sure which retailers sell them, but you could check their website.

Amber McArthur said...

How scary Jessica! You guys are in our prayers. Keep us updated!

Sally and Max Brown said...

Keep us updated! It is so hard taking care of a little one when you are not feeling well. Hopefully, they can treat the symptoms quickly. You are in our prayers!