Along side that, I've dealt with the guilt that comes with not being "thrilled". I was so caught up in the wave of all things pregnancy, that I couldn't distinguish whether or not it was just because I was exhausted, horribly sick, and overwhelmed that I wasn't giddy about having two precious babies coming to our family. I'm not sure I'll ever completely get over the morning sickness (in fact, I'll be surprised if it decides to take it's nastiness elsewhere) but I've noticed the last two weeks have been significantly better as far as first trimester woe's go.
I still have to take my anti-nausea medication, but only every other day now. I finally have more energy, but surprisingly have already become extremely uncomfortable. Sleeping is impossible, and I'm trying not to think about how much longer I still have to go.
I'm so excited to finally feel excited about this pregnancy! I tell Neil on a daily basis how I can't wait to see the babies again (our ultrasounds will be every two weeks starting on the 17th of Oct)....wahoo!!
The one thing that has surprised me about having twins is how little people really know about twins. Myself included.
Here are some common questions/issues we've been asked (or asked ourselves):
1. A lot of people want an explanation of sorts on where twins come from. In our case, there appears to be one set of twins on Neil's side (very distantly)....but the only type of twins that have any hereditary link are FRATERNAL twins. Our twins are monozygotic, or identical twins. Identical twins are a type of phenomenon where Drs. cannot explain why an egg splits into two embryos. Thus, identical twins are purely by chance, and have no hereditary link whatsoever.
2. Because there is more than one baby, tummies get bigger MUCH faster. I haven't asked my Dr. how much bigger I'm measuring, but in the early part of twin pregnancies, most uterus' measure 4-6 weeks bigger than actual gestational age. I think as the pregnancy continues, the measurement gap is much larger. That could mean that I look like I'm 20-22 weeks pregnant instead of my almost 15 weeks.
3. Twins never go full term (or very rarely)
. That being said, after talking the my perinatologist, he's pretty confident that we won't run into any serious complications (keeping our fingers crossed) because of the completely health pregnancy/delivery I had with Ellie. Lets hope he's right.
4. Our twins are Monochorionic-Diamniotic. Meaning they share the same placenta, or chorion (mono), but each have their own amniotic sacs (the Di part of the word). This layout is the better option for identical twins, and the babies don't run the risk of tangling up in each others chords. There is still the risk of TTTS because they are identical.
5. Carrying twins really is twice the work.
There's still a lot to know, and a lot we can only learn by hands on experience.:) The official countdown until we find out if we'll have boys or girls is:
8 Days
That being said....this little one is getting more and more excited. She walks around with her baby dolls and tenderly "hush-hush's" them and tells me to be quite because her baby sister is sleeping. Hmmm....maybe she knows something we don't.
1 comment:
That was fairly educational and now completely freaks me out knowing that the lack of twins in my family does not mean I won't have some. Thanks for that!
Post a Comment