The pregnancy has been really normal so far. I've been noticing braxton hicks contractions for just over a month now; but they usually come once or twice a day, and then may not show up again for another day or two. Definitely nothing regular. Or anything to worry about.
Yesterday I went over to Sally's to clean some. Neil and I got back around 2:30. Just after 3:00 I started having a contraction, so I told Neil. About 1 min. later I realized it wasn't gone yet, so I told Neil to check the clock and time it. It lasted over 2 minutes, maybe 3. I told him it was probably nothing to worry about, unless I started having more, they were closer together, and if I had more than 4 in one hour. About 45 seconds after I said that, I had another contraction. Not really worried at this point, I decided to lay down. But they still kept coming. I'd been laying for almost half an hour, and had counted 4 contractions already. So, I went and got something to eat, and laid down again. No change. I got some more water to drink...no change. By this point I was getting pretty uncomfortable. About 1 hr. and 20 min. after the first contraction, we finally called the Dr....I know, stupid huh? At that point, they were becoming further apart, but still coming. The whole time I kept telling myself that everything was fine...so when the Dr. told us to get to the hospital right away, I couldn't believe it. What was going on?
Anyway, after hearing what the Dr. said, I was really overwhelmed. I didn't want to believe it, and so I put it off, and kept putting it off...even after talking to another Dr. I hate hospitals, they scare me...and I think I was mostly afraid that if I went in, they'd just deliver the baby and send me home! I know, completely irrational...but that was my thinking process. So, we finally got in the car and went in, an hour after the first Dr. had told us to get right over!
On the way to the hospital, I had 2 contractions...but I didn't feel nervous about what was going to happen. We pulled into the ER parking lot, and it finally dawned on Neil that we should say a prayer. I think, in the hustle and bustle of everything, we were so caught up in the worry of having a baby this early, that the thought of asking for blessing never really cross our minds!
So Neil said a simple prayer...and we walked inside. From the time I sat down in the hospital bed...I never had another contraction. The nurses and dr. monitored me and the baby for over an hour...and kept asking me if I felt a contraction. Nope, not one. We were so amazed! The staff probably thought we were crazy...but not one contraction showed up on the monitor. They ran some tests, and everything came back normal. WHEW! So, we didn't get to see Ellie last night, but we're glad. We're hoping she stays put for another two months!
It's amazing what the power of a simple prayer can do. I told Neil as we were sitting in the hospital room that there wasn't anymore contractions was because he had faith, and had prayed that Ellie would be healthy and stay put....so glad he did! Too bad he didn't think of that BEFORE we went to the ER! What a great testimony booster! We feel really blessed that the pregnancy has gone so well...and even more blessed that Heavenly Father would answer such a simple prayer.
6 comments:
that sure is scarey! i am glad you didn't have her yet. it is amazing what can happen with a little faith! you guys are awesome.
That is a little scary. I probably would be freaking out. I am so glad that everything is ok with you and Ellie.
Jess I would be freaking out. I don't even know anything about timing contractions or anything like that. I guess I should do my research now since I'm just a couple of weeks behind you. What a testimony builder. Oh the power of prayer. I'm glad everything is ok.
We're glad everything's ok! Keep taking good care of yourself & that baby girl.
Wow you guys are amazing! I know how scary that can be, i remember at five months being sent to the hospital with severe stomach pains as they asked me if i had my car seat and if i wanted an epidural and i was freaking. I am so glad that everything turned out fine!
Wow Jess, that is a scary time! I'm glad it all turned out! What a great testimony building experience... it's good to have those every now and again so we can remember WHO's in charge. So, you're back in Idaho, huh!? When do I get to see you!? :)
Post a Comment