2.3.08

It's been a while....

Well, things are going well here in Rexburg. Neil and I are still working at the DDA. I'm a little torn about the situation with work, and here's why. I've been working there for 2 years, and working consistently with Michael for about a year now. If you've ever had the opportunity to work or be around ANYONE with disabilities, you'd know that they are so easy to love, and really extremely special people that our Heavenly Father has put on this earth, not as a burden, but as a blessing. Michael is an extreme challenge most times, well, actually about 75-80% of the time. Imagine a situation where you have an adult man who functions at the level of a 3 year old in most aspects (okay, so really imagine a really BIG 3 year old!). If we go to the store, and Michael doesn't get what he wants, he throws a HUGE fit; huge, I mean, a 3 year old, yelling at the top of his lungs, but really a grown man with a deep loud voice, threatening to get rid of one of his sister-in-laws. He's extremely obsessed with his family, therefore, when he's angry or upset (actually, on a daily basis, whether he's mad or not) he talks about the divorce his brother had, how his sisters went to college and aren't ever going to come back to see him, how his dad yells at him, and that his grandpa is getting "too old". There are about a dozen more things he repeats for 6 hours a day, but I think you get the idea. He is extremely physical, and has even hit me on different occasions. Let me remind you once more though, he is a grown man, and will hit like a 3 year old when he's mad. He can be very aggressive verbally and physically. There have been numerous times where I've called Neil just crying and telling him I'm not sure I can do it anymore.
It's such a tough job! Really its only 24 hours a week, but it is so mentally draining, it feels more like I'm working 60-70 hours a week! I've missed work because the day before he's been so mean and abusive that I come home, and it literally makes me sick. I've developed HBP, and I just turned 23. I have so much physical pain because of all the anxiety, anger and yelling from Michael that I'm on a prescription pain medication I take twice a day. Yelling-wow....imagine a grown man yelling right in your ear (not joking) for 6 hours a day. I'm surprised I can still hear. Yet, I've noticed, with all of the yelling his does, he never has a sore throat! What's the deal with that? Anyway, here's why I'm torn. Because even though the job is horrible some days, I wouldn't trade this experience for ANYTHING! I've grown to love this little man with so many anxiety and anger issues, because I know who he is on the inside. Some day, I find myself looking at him, and I get a little glimpse of how important he is to our Heavenly Father, and how faithful he must have been in the premortal existence. It's those moments that keep me going, and those experiences that completely floor me, and I realize that I may be getting paid to help Michael improve his life in all aspects, but in reality, he's the one who's doing the better job. It's a feeling that can't be described, nor would a person completely understand unless they've had similar experiences with people with disabilities. Several times a month the reality hits me that Michael, and all of the other adults with disabilities I see daily, well, I'll see them in the next life. That thought completely exhilarates me...I just get so excited, because I know they'll have their perfect bodies and minds, and hope that they'll be able to come up to Neil and I and thank us for being a part of their lives. Although, I'm sure it will be us thanking them for making us better people. I've learned so much patience from Michael, you wouldn't believe it. This job is literally a part of me, and it's hard for me to imagine anything else. But, my health isn't the best right now, so it may be time for me to either,
A: leave Michael and pick up another client,
or B: get a new job.

Not sure what's going to happen, but thats the situation right now. Neil will be done at the DDA in about a month, when he starts school back up again. He's planning on finishing school next December, so 2009. YAY! We can't wait to get out of little Rexburg. We're heading down to Cami's next weekend for her birthday, and just to get away. We're really excited, it's going to be a fun weekend! We're looking forward to a little break! Well, thats all on our end, we love you guys!

2 comments:

Melissa Brown said...

I was shocked to finally see a new post! Yes! Well, that is a difficult situation. I admire oyu so much for working with him. I can't even imagine it. I'm not sure I could do it. There is something I have realized though... in all my various experiences with work and being a mom, you sometimes need to put yourself first! And I know how hard that can be. I feel selfish sometimes if I put myself first, but it is for my own sanity and for they sanity of my marriage! I am worried about you! We love you so much and want you to be healthy and happy. Good muck with whatever you choose. Praying always helps :)

Jessica said...

Well, I know...its been a while! I've just been really busy with work and life in general. Yes, I'd been debating that exact thing for months now....and it literally just came to a point where I had to..."for my own sanity (health) and for my marriage". Thanks for your support, we miss you guys tons...to bad we couldn't be in Vegas with you guys. Love ya!